PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2008, 05:15
gadgetman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But what about people who like this place ? Please do balance, give also arguments for : "Good Place"

Fair question, although as already pointed out, you might have been better off checking this out prior to accepting the position.
Working with EK will enable you to travel to stacks of places you would struggle to get to otherwise, and if you can go without sleep for a long time, the 24 hr layovers will help you explore them bits at a time. Don't depend on the other crew to explore them with you (they'll be hiding in their rooms eating 2 minute noodles), and you'll be fine. Emirates is great for developing a sense of independence.

If you don't want the hassle of paying electricity bills or other aspects attached to adulthood, living in crew accomodation will also help help develop you sense of co-dependence. It's really very well rounded like that.

Other positive aspects include....

wait for it....

hang on, I'll think of one any time soon...

umm....

cheap tickets! no, the special offers you can get from a hundred other sources are comparable, damn.

How about the excitement of living in Dubai, the worlds biggest construction zone? Much of it will be out of your income bracket, but at least you can go outside 7-8 months of the year to enjoy the rest of it.

KFC and Burger King do home delivery! YES, finally a genuine positive aspect!, I'm so proud.

And what about the survey ? Do you think it will realy change something ?
Unlikely. The crew managers might get a wake up call about how little they are trusted, but other than a memo ordering them to be more 'supportive' when issuing warning letters to people with 3+ sickdays, it won't change jack. (This is presuming that people filled it out believing it is anonymous, which few do)

I'd really, really, like to think otherwise, but experience tells me otherwise.