PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A million questions...
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2008, 10:01
Scouse_Phil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A million questions...

I know all these questions have been answered before but most of the answers seem fairly dated, so was hoping for up to date replies.

Introduction: I'm a 28 year old Police Officer based in Liverpool and have always dreamt of being a pilot but always thought I was too thick!

Now for the questions...

1. Is it necessary to have qualifications (ie GCSE/A Levels/Degree) under your belt to pass PPL and then CPL/IR or ATPL? I wouldn't describe myself as thick but don't have qualifications either (Other than NVQ Level 3 and a couple of GCSE's!)

2. Am i too old?

3. I've read previous threads about no instructors, simulator etc at Ravenair. Has anyone recently attended at Ravenair and what was the training and your treatment REALLY like? Are the planes dilapidated?

4. Should I/When I successfully pass my PPL, build my hours and pass my my CPL/IR, what is the likelyhood of getting a job? Taking into consideration my age by the time i've finally passed it all!

5. How long will all this take? I know finances play a part but Ravenair expect payment up front so that could all be paid up front (thanks to credit cards/loans etc) and then its just finding the time. I've read elsewhere that paying up front is a big mistake but it seems that most modular courses work this way (unless I pay as I go, which overall is more expensive!).

Any other information that could be of help to someone planning a massive career change and financial burden. I know i'm not on my own with this so i'm sure others will have helpful advice!

I look forward to receiving your replies.