PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO's of the world... are we all understaffed?
Old 27th Feb 2008, 11:00
SINGAPURCANAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I have already given my opinion about this issues( under different thread) and so far I haven't changed my opinion.
for me there is no doubt.
Lack of qualified ATCOs all around world doesn't exist or to be more precise it is not at such level to disrupt flow and volume of traffic.
how to explain that last year IATA announced rise in terms of traffic, passengers and cargo. This is 5th consecutive year with stable rise .
Further more for January of 2008 is still rise of traffic, but a little bit slower rate than previous one.
those who claim that there is shortage I would like to ask next question:
Who is dealing with this traffic?
Answer:" Qualified ATCOs!"
If there is no enough ATCOs some airports/sectors in ACC will be closed and if it is repeated all around the world then we will have reduction in terms of traffic.
It is general opinion and I allow and believe that there is exemptions from place to place but HUGE lack of ATCOs doesn't exist.
Look at the next examples:
-DFC open vacancy at FI but 2 months later no one even goes to the interview. I would like to remind you that DFS clearly stated in vacancy ,position opened: ASAP
-Canadian ANSP needs ATCOs ( preferably from high density facilities) but only if candidate "sponsor himself/herself" until full validation.
-ASA opened big vacancy at the end of 2006 and I would like to ask them ,How many ATCOs join ASA and reach full license endorsement?
-ANSP of New Zealand also had vacancy for expats and as I know only four (4) expats join their company. Maybe it is not comparable but my unit gave last week two licenses with further exams within one months time. So four is not lack of...
-middle east is especially story. who has ever seen vacancy for some countries even there expats are majority of workforce. Traffic growth is even highest in that region but no need for more ATCOs .
I know that some members of this forum wouldn't agree with me but I would appreciate reasonable answers.
Like- This airport will be clossed at.... because of staff shortage.( Ireland is not included)

And at the top of everything I think that management of ANSP work properly( from their point of view) because they increased productivity without infringed safety.
You may like it or not but figures are on their side!