PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging Hrs - Dual but not under instruction
Old 26th Feb 2008, 22:42
Sqwark2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max182,

What if a private flight includes some flying under the hood with a
safety pilot in the right seat? Any ideas how to log this situation?
In NZ, if you require instrument hours towards the issue of a PPL/CPL/IR and don't want to do it with an instructor dual, then you can carry a safety pilot who is licensed, type rated and has access to dual controls then you may log PIC and IF time (for the proportion of flight under the hood, you don't know how many I've flown with who think that because it was an IF flight that all of it would go in to the actual or sim column).

As an example, a student pilot without a license can't carry passengers, so the only way to log IF is dual with an instructor. A PPL holder building IF time for the issue of CPL or Instrument rating, can have a PPL/CPL/ATPL buddy sit beside them and act as safety pilot as long as they are type rated and have access to a second set of controls. THE SAFETY PILOT CANNOT LOG ANY TIME if you log PIC/IF.

The only occassion 2 people can log flight and IF time together is in a dual instruction environment, and the instructor can use X amount of that time towards their IFR currency requirements if they require it.

That's my understanding of the sit in NZ, may have changed since I was full time in GA

S2K

Postnote: I've got a nagging feeling that a type rating may not be essential, but definitely must hold a license