PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Pilot Ballot results
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2008, 09:22
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been following this thread with interest because I work for BA Engineering and would like BA to keep flying, there is an outside chance of a bonus this year!

I have one question. All you pilots are running down the BA Management. Yet when I look in the Flight Ops magazine all the management are called Captain. I assume this means they are pilots? What changes when a BA Captain becomes a BA Manager? Does he have to agree to be anti his mates from then on?
What makes you think they had any mates before they became managers? A lot of them have been dubious character for a long time! The reason most managers are Captains is that there is a 'jobs for the boys' agreement for the managers that allows very junior FOs to become managers out of seniority (for purely management purposes you understand) and also become qualified as trainers. A number of managers have hung onto their management positions for just as long as it takes to become senior enough to keep their command by normal means then booted the office job.

BTW the bonus went down the pan when our managers got caugt price fixing. A £350M fine, plus passenger compensation, plus the next fine for fixing cargo prices will make a big dent in that 11.5% margin!