PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Jetstar EBA 4
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2008, 23:21
Nuthinondaclock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choices?

Nicely written Keg and Dodgybrothers,

I particularly like Keg’s mid race analogy. So what’s it going to be people?

From a representation point of view I think we’ve got 5 choices (discounting none and signing off immediately on an AWA. (The following is certainly not intended to be taken as slandering any particular Union/Association, or the people that work on their behalf, but it just a pragmatic appraisal of our current situation as pilots in Australia.)

1. JPC – Probably effective in the early days of Impulse but with the exception of a few with questionable impartiality/conflict of interest, seems to be acknowledged as very pro-management with its leaning. It would seem a lot of Jet* pilots are less than happy with them and I think their usefulness from a Jet* pilots’ point of view has probably expired. Also doesn’t solve the problem of unified representation of Australian Pilots.

2. AFAP – Sorry guys but you lost a fair bit of credibility when you back flipped on this EBA just to get your name on the letterhead. The other downside of AFAP representation is that it still doesn’t solve the problem of unified representation of Australian Pilots. The reality is that 2400+ Qantas Mainline pilots are not about to join the AFAP as they don’t have the legal right of representation, they’re not presently capable and they have no interest or intention of becoming so.

3. AIPA – Whatever you may think about its past relationship (or lack thereof) with Jet* pilots and QF Regional pilots this is the only organisation that has any real capability to represent us all. We are at a critical point in time now. They are the ONLY organisation that can legally represent us all. Get it from the horse’s mouth by a phone call or attending a road show but these guys will be representing YOU. The various sub-organisations i.e. Jet* Pilots, Qantaslink..... would run their own show within the umbrella in the same way as S/H and L/H run separately. When it comes to an EBA vote ultimately it’s only those covered by it that vote. L/H pilots don’t get to vote on a S/H EBA and vice versa. L/H pilots aren’t usually even at the table for the S/H negotiations (Unless someone with a particular industrial area of expertise is requested to be present) with the company. AIPA certainly isn’t perfect (Is any organisation?) but I do think they’re the best choice available.

4. The Australian Pilots Union (Insert title of choice) – A totally new organisation. Reality. By the time it’s setup, has the infrastructure and the legal right of representation the horse will have well and truly bolted, been tracked and caught, sold, slaughtered and be adorning and old-school tennis racquet.

5. Status Quo – Remain divided and in the exactly the position every Airline management/Oldmeadow-type negotiator wants.

Regards,
Nuf.