PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Northeastern Airlines Safety Concerns, Beware!
Old 25th Feb 2008, 20:04
gengis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been flying into China for nearly 20 years, with 3 different airlines over this time. For all their shortcomings, i can say this in all honesty - that they have come a very long way. In ATC, in ground handling. Back then, i recall that we needed to carry interpreters from the CAAC to work the radios whenever we went into Chinese airspace, and you never knew what he was talking with the controller. Back then everything was in QFE too, sometimes landing with 5200 ft elevation on QFE....... in metres. And back then every other approach was an NDB or VOR letdown on questionable NavAids. Sometimes with big cumulus "granitis" sitting around the airfield and no EGPWS terrain database. In monsoon conditions...... And de-icing...... there was none. Type 1 came much later........... ah yes, but i too seem to recall Anchorage, as late as 1999-2000 also only gave us Type 1? That was the USA!

Of course there is still much more to be done in China, but the point here is that there is movement......... in the correct direction. It'll happen.... Type 2, 4........ better ATC... Just cut 'em some slack.

Last edited by gengis; 26th Feb 2008 at 09:42.