PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX 777 Flyby CP sacked
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2008, 06:20
volarecantare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPDUDE, nice to see a well thought out overview of the situation covering many of the nuances. Sometimes reading some of the puerile and rat mentality on these sites and hearing the HTFU attitude by some individuals on line and behind the safety of their beer courage (who I'm afraid to say always belies their own scared little inner boys who are quick to rat pack bully any individual who they see as vulnerably exposed).
The relatively new effect of internet and instant wide spread communications on us as professionals where at any time our lapses in judgement can be viewed and gloated on by sad to say even our own colleagues adds another dimension to our already long rope to hang ourselves profession.
A large contributing factor to the result of this incident was the willingness of pilots here and elsewhere to showcase this on the web. Then bringing up old baggage and witch hunt tendencies call for blood. So well done lads you got your blood. Does it taste as sweet as you hoped? Does it ease your deep seated bitterness and hatred.

I was talking to a consultant friend of mine regarding this incident and he mentioned the affinity many doctors have towards the pilots regarding job responsibility and the effects of being paid to suppress natural emotions. One thing he said though was there has always been an ethos of support among doctors and an identification with those who make errors of judgment. This is sadly lacking in our profession among certain individuals. Lets just hope that it doesn't take you to be at the controls of an incident for you to realize the impact your low minded attacks have when you experience it yourself.

This site anonymous as it is offers many the opportunity to express and vent their anger, often hurting others. Its a pity we do not a more healthy and supportive environment in our professional lives that we could feel safe enough to discuss our feelings and fears as they arise with our colleagues without the risk of ridicule and being told to HTFU. (an apparently well known catch phrase "arising" from a certain "comedy" character which is a worrying insight in to what some think is funny).

Maybe its time for the silent majority who do not have the stomach to engage in the hyperbolic rantings of a few to let their voice be heard and show that there are indeed some pilots who have a healthy well rounded psyche.

There has always been the talk of the "Them v's us metality regarding the "evil" managemt" that certainly needs to improve for both the future success of the company and for our own careers.

What is of greater concern though is the problems within our own pilot body which has been too long tolerated of the nasty and bullish attitude some show to their colleagues, carrying historical and personal baggage into work with them every day. We hold power over each others careers as much as the company does, and when some are in either Managerial , C+T, elected union reps, national majority, buddy buddy drinking groups, more damage has been cause by misuse of those positions of power to individuals than the company has ever caused.

What could be called an error of judgment on behalf if this individual could also been seen as a career suicide. Watching it , it awakened something deep within which sadly to say I had lost. I was there in the seat myself, maybe a smile on my face a feeling of being alive and humming a bit of Dean Martin. I can see someone end his own career with the exhilaration and energy most of us started with, that joy of flying that passion and energy the pride and courage. Sadly it is has been lost to many. He has paid the price, leave him be lads
I still remember the good old days when we had dignity, camaraderie and self respect as a profession.

Last edited by volarecantare; 24th Feb 2008 at 06:54.