PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC VOLUNTARY OVERTIME BAN: Dublin Flights Delayed 25th January
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 19:48
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
290Kts,

This pattern also involves your first duty being a E duty which mucks up your last rest day
One of the combinations which was used and did have some popularity was;

A,A Off, M,M,N/D,N/D,Sleep/O,O,O

N/D = Night duty or Day shift

Sleep/O = Sleep after night or day off if folowing day shifts.

Some however did not like the day off in the middle which they felt could be better used when combined with the other days off.

Management did not really like starting with an Afternoon shift because staff at times travelled back from holidays or other outings on the morning of the first day and when delayed it really caused problems.

Management did however prefer the flexibility that being able to start the day shifts early without having to also let them go early from the previous afternoon shift (in the case of the M,M,A,A,N/D,N,D,Sleep/O,O,O,O).

Can't say that I would ever propose a roster with less then 11 hours between shifts.

AS for distance between safety regulator and providor, you will find that it is very hard to deal with ATS standards in regard to area control issues without dealing with ex-NATS ATCOs.

They are separate organisations but the regulator has little choice in where to obtain people from the respect of Area ATS inspectors, examminers etc.

--------

Sir Alex,

Dundalk is just down the road these days. Not much aircraft noise there.

Imagine the cheek of me for suggesting that people employed at an airport such as Tower and Aproach controllers should ever live in an area where they might hear the noise of that airport operating.

The point I was making is that in the example provided there was no indication of how much was commuting and how much was other personal committments.

--------

thorisgod,

Many enroute providers use single staffed sectors at certain times. I don't think safety is risked by such measures. Enroute flight in the UK is safe is it not?

Declared sector capacity is another thing and I agree. However how often is the capacity declared at say 36 and the flow person comes over and asks if you can squeeze 1 more in to save a guy getting a 3 hour delay?

Regards,

DFC