PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Nigeria Vs Federal Govt Of Nigeria Et Al
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 19:40
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, but...

If someone does a straight business deal, such as this one that Virgin did, then they expect that it should survive AS a deal! Am I missing something here; do you suppose that the lawyers for Virgin were so thick that they couldn't write a contract that guaranteed their investment in a certain business model? I would bet it didn't include asking their pax to cope with the problems of making a connection between these two terminals! You don't suppose they really expected that to be part of the deal, do you?

On the face of it a casual reading does make it seem that Virgin invested a lot in building some facilities at International they are now being rudely turfed out of because of some funny business with MMA2. It doesn't seem to be the way to treat people who came prepared to do business, even on terms that were advantageous to themselves.

I don't know if things are ever going to change in Nigeria. I remember the advent of Virgin Nigeria and how it was going to usher in a new era and blah-blah-blah... It now reads very much like "business as usual," just another unwary set of investors sold a pup by Nigeria.

Fair or not, you would think that the government would want to avoid this sort of dispute simply because of the image problems.

I was told very strongly not to bother my present employers with any questions about looking for work in Nigeria. Angola is okay but Nigeria is a no-no. Well, part of it is the way that they locked up one of the senior pilots when he was forced to make a precautionary landing in Calabar on a ferry flight. Instead of giving him help and assistance they acted as if he were some sort of James Bond type in a small ag plane. Well, the airport thugs had their fun then but they also screwed the image of the country for this lot.

Some of you guys even seem to find this amusing, I think. Laugh if you like but then don't moan about the outside world being so negative about Nigeria.

Give us old fogies a break, by the way, if you want us easily to be able to read and respond to what you write. If you break stuff up into paragraphs, use standard spelling and punctuation, avoid violent colours that frighten the horses... then you might reach a wider audience than just your home boys. This is some sort of international forum, after all.