PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA emergency at MAN
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 18:49
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaggy Sheep Driver - Irrespective of the malfunction, we don't do "fast and shallow". Fast it might have seemed, but we don't ever (and I mean never, ever) duck under the glidepath to enhance the landing performance in any way. Trust me, I've seen a heavy weight flapless landing done for real in a Jumbo, and it works exactly like it does in the sim, 3 degrees, 2 reds/2 whites the whole way down!
I never suggested any glidesope ducking - That would be highly unprofessional (and uneccessary and dangerous etc etc) and certainly not implied by me re this landing, which I'm sure was carried out with consumate professionalism.

The 'shallow' comes in the flare..... atouchdown (following a standard if slightly fast approach) at a less nose-high attitude than usual, resulting in a faster and 'less held off' landing. I presume (don't know) that this is because the hydraulics failure meant less flap was available, the stall speed higher than normal, meaning a faster less held-off touchdown had to be performed.

That's what I said was 'shallow'... the landing, not the approach.

SSD