PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need help with PPL decision. Denham airport or somewhere close, experience required
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 16:48
Irish_Stu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be very careful if you decide to go to a foreign school to do your PPL. If you're limited to two weeks holidays, I'd say forget it. I went to a school in Florida In Nov/Dec 2007 to do a 21 day PPL and left after 6 weeks with 26hrs on my logbook. And I'm currently trying to get the remainder of my money back, with very little success.
Don't make a schoolboy error like I did, DON'T pay up front, and pay by credit card. I can't stress that highly enough.

And as for the guy who says that the standard of training will be much higher at an FTO than a local flying club, sorry but I don't agree. Most of the instructors at my flying club are well experienced commercial pilots who instruct on their days off. The standard of instruction is very high.
Yesterday when my lesson was cancelled due to 50 knot winds my instructor was happy to sit with me for hours and go over stuff that I was unsure of. And this has always been the case, even instructors who I've never flown with always have the time to answer questions. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not sure whether that would happen at a bigger busier "flashy" FTO.

Stu