PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC VOLUNTARY OVERTIME BAN: Dublin Flights Delayed 25th January
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 14:47
Sir Alex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fao Dfc

rather than ignore you DFC i'm going to try and educate you, starting with your last post. There have been plenty of responses to your previous posts.

I agree obviously that the IAA aren't needed to tuck me up in bed, however life isn't always as simple as i've to work i'm going to sleep for X hours. Unless i don't marry and don't have children there's bound to be something to get in the way of full 10 hours kip between early and night duty. It's all part of the work life balance that controllers are requesting.
Granted i can see the logic of don't work if your too tired on safety grounds but everyones tired all the time these days thanks to being overworked and understaffed, not sure how long i'd have a job if i regularly trotted out the i'm too sleepy line.
Also the fact that we're up at 3 in the morning working ful tilt probably messes up the circadian rhythem so we're F**ked either way.

The reason the early followed by short rest followed by night is a problem more so now than "decades" ago is due to the huge increase in traffic. Perhaps in your vast experience in all aspect of everything everywhere would have alerted you to this occurance.
Are you sure you're not management??? it is decades since i've seen them look at a radar screen let alone work one.

"Having 9 hours off and only sleeping 4 due to commuting and personal activities. - Living too far away from work?"

Are you seriously suggesting that we all live next door to work?? there's a feckin' airport there in most cases how would we sleep with that noise??? ?I'd always be to tired for work.
Also not very work life balance friendly making all familial decisions based on my work?? what if the missus works miles away? Although if you're living "decades" ago maybe womens lib hasn't reached your kneck of the woods yet.

And as for a sleeping in Hotels, who pays?? the IAA wouldn't. We'd certainly need Ryanair/IAA* wages for that. Anyway again they're S**T and beside an airport.

* it worked for sinn fein/ IRA why not just amalgamate them???