PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Pilot Ballot results
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 11:58
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pilots need to plan strategy

Back at #56, I suggested that pilots(well,all employees) could buy shares in BA.

Human Factor was the only reply(63) pointing out that the MANAGEMENT has preferential share -purchase options.

this strikes me as a real dog-in -a -manger attitude1...So, you're in exactly the same position as any other private investor.I'd suggest that 3,000 pilots could very rapidly accumulate a huge block of BA shares if they only put ,say 5% of their net income into the "pot"

BA is making huge profits...YOU have shares, YOU draw dividends, Dividends buy MORE shares. QED .

BUT collectively, YOU have the ability to vote at shareholder meetings and affect the running of the company.....I'm quite amazed this "back-door" approach hasn't been exploited.

Others(Sulac66,post 110) also suggest that empowerment is a way forward.

VOTING WITH YOUR FEET. Is there gross overcapacity in the airline industry?
No?....then all yo pilots that leave, will find jobs with the other carriers who take-on the pax that BA no longer has staffing capability to move.
BA then has a choice, attract good staff / sell the surplus aircraft / go bust.
Reading the early posts, over 2,000 pilots are unhappy...how many pax journeys do they represent?-I'd suggest ,enough to cause a major political row as well as an upset in the financial markets.

Last time I flew BA was a Viscount to Benbecula! for my then-employer. (I'm just an impoverished prole)
Without the LoCo's, I'd have never been abroad ..so, Ive no dog in this fight, but that doesn't mean that I agree with powerful management totally lacking in morality!

Blimey, post 171. I take your comments as ill-construed....this is STILL a PUBLIC arena , the admin appear to do an excellent job of weeding dross and trolls, therefore, i'd respectfully suggest that you consider reading the posts from us "outsiders"and learning something useful from them.

The comments regarding Leyland, Coal,Etc. were, IMHO, on the mark.
Others offered a better, cheaper, more reliable product..the clever employees left and got positions with the well-managed "foreigners"....the rest stayed and grumbled and took industrial action as their industry went down the crapper!
History repeats. Sometimes, lessons ARE learned . BA is out of sync with 21st. century travel, imo.(the proportion who travel "cattle" should be some sort of pointer to that.

Protect your position, but be aware that this is ,primarily a BUSINESS and i've attempted to help you see it from that perspective.