PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC VOLUNTARY OVERTIME BAN: Dublin Flights Delayed 25th January
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 11:25
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chiglet,

I know but that is just Dee Mac.

------

thorisgod,

While I commend your honnesty, you once again shot yourself on the foot bu saying things like;

*received 31 days leave (27 taken so far, 22 of which are block leave) 31 might sound high but if any 9-5'ers are listening that's what you get when you add in bank holidays, I don't get them.
That will really boots your position with the 9 to 5 worker who has to either accept no pay for a bank holiday or take one of the statutary leave days they get.

What you say is common practice in other providers but it is not something that you want to hang a "we are not well treated" explanation to the general public on.

Going to single sector staffing will free up how many people?

-----------

Radar,

Overtime cannont be eliminated totally. You cannot do manpower plannig to the point where every eventuality is covered. When you rely on it as a matter of course rather than to deal with force majeur ....... you have a real problem. Then again, that's been said often enough already on this thread.
The problem is that every stoppage has been because someone went sick and no one would come in to cover their shift. The public have not had many examples of people ot doing overtime and the place closing down even when no one went sick.

Thus the public perception is that the system can work (not at full capacity perhaps) without overtime and that it takes someone to go sick and at the exact same time someone else to exercise their right not to do overtime to close it down.

Regards,

DFC