PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Humour (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 03:53
justlearning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While working on my PPL(H), I was flying mostly in the early mornings, and got in a habit when I made my initial calls. Trying to be polite/pleasant with the controllers, I would start my call with a quick "Good Morning, Hillsboro Tower.....".

This was all fine and good, until I started to fly some later blocks in the day. At first it was just somewhat humorous, take off in the morning, my instructor would spend the next hour turning me around, challenging me, and sometimes I would forget that we were returning and it was afternoon. I was still making my calls "Good Morning Hillsboro Tower.....". Occasionally, the tower would make a quick correction, and a quick laugh was had by all.

Anyways, just after I had gotten my PPL(H), and was back after a couple weeks off, my instructor and I went out for a quick flight. I proceeded to our spot on the ramp, and finished my checks. Just as I am about to make my call, my instructor looks over, and jokingly says, "just remember, it's afternoon already".

Right.

Me: "Good Afternoon Hillsboro Tower, Helicopter XXXX at HAI with Bravo, requesting a south departure."

Tower (sounded like he was almost laughing): "Good Morning Helicopter XXXX, cleared for a south departure."

My instructor and I just looked at each other, and I tried not to chuckle while giving me readback.

I think they are making fun of me.