PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyGlobespan -7
Thread: FlyGlobespan -7
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 15:48
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually Glasgow to Orlando currently has the direct option with XL, Travel City Direct, Virgin, MyTravel and First Choice for summer 2008.

I (dis)agree, British Airways should have remained losing money, flying empty aeroplanes full of recycled fresh air and few passengers, from the "regions" into Europe and the US. Forgetting the fact that they got their asses kicked by the competition and they were bleeding money on virtually all their routes. I do fly BA though, as I feel at home when I stop on board a BA flight abroad, they have lots of Scottish staff and they have a ( often thought not always !! ) reliable product.

In fairness, they also operate a raft of flights from Glasgow and Edinburgh into both London hubs, allowing one stop flights to most of the world. BA CAN'T fly direct from Scotland and make money, every passenger flying direct is one less through London which is what their business model is geared to do. Works for them, makes money. flyglobespan bypass the hub and take you direct to where you want to go, ( occasionally not non stop :P though) and have done great things for direct destinations from Scotland. easyJet weren't doing much fast, nor were bmi Baby and Jet2 aren't a player. We have a lot to be grateful to flyglobespan for.

HOWEVER, if and when Virgin start taking their B787s, I reckon they'll base one at Glasgow for the Orlando service. That would be a better option I think.

Last edited by Skipness One Echo; 22nd Feb 2008 at 18:08.