PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar pay rise. Is it enough?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 10:18
ramyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My question is if demand for pilots is so strong and growing every year then why aren't pilots getting significant pay increases? If there is strong elasticity of demand as many in the industry claim then airlines would be forced to pay more to keep pilots from leaving...

If pilots aren't getting huge pay rises it would seem that some kind of demand supply equilibrium already exists........Perhaps there isn't a pilot shortage after all....atleast not yet...

At the end of the day it is in the pilots best interests and I would argue responsibility to demand the best woking conditions possible as it is the airlines responsibility to concede the least amount possible.......Loyalty runs very thin these days..Whoever has the upper hand in negotiations will largely be dictated by market forces at the time. At the moment it sure seems like the airlines have the upper hand, but don't worry pilots, I'm sure that in the very near future that this is gonna change.....These huge capacity expansions are going to kick in soon......They need pilots to fly them planes.....Not to mention engineers and other professionals to keep them up there...

Last edited by ramyon; 22nd Feb 2008 at 10:34.