PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mango - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 06:44
Shrike200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Avi8tor
Oh No..has he surfaced again???
Yup, good 'ol JO. Don't know how they let that one slip by, but he's wiggled his way in there. Pity, really, 'cause it just drags their whole image down in my opinion.

In any case, don't expect command anytime soon (quite frankly the whole 'career plan' there sounds a bit weak), and things seems a tad chaotic. They also seem to be using some utterly crazy system for working out seniority amongst the F/O's at the moment, so don't expect your hours to count for as much as you may think once you are in their system. Expected pay increases haven't materialised (despite crew actually being told that they would be getting an increase), and management seems fairly 'random' on the whole. (I'm being polite.)

On the plus side, it is a nice rating to have if you plan on leaving SA sometime soonish, and the -800 is fun to operate, so they say. Salary is ok-ish I suppose if you can live on it (clearing about 21-22K for an F/O after tax?). No pension/medical etc provided.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be negative, merely objective. I am however concerned with the standard of aviation managers/management in general in SA at the moment, and Mango (IMHO) is no exception.