PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Pilot Ballot results
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 05:51
JazzyKex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris 777.

Further to what has been said so well by M. Mouse and other posters I think, if you look, that doctors and not permitted to strike.

Part of their contract states that they do not have the strike option open to them under any circumstances. Not that is even remotely relevant in this case, as the contract GP's negotiated was incredible poorly thought through by the government and no GP in his/her right mind would have have voted against it...and their 'union' suggested acceptance, in the same way BALPA has suggested to us to stand our ground in this issue now or see our future careers undermined and eventually be handed to pilots outwith the BA family. With well presented clear arguments from both BA and BALPA over this issue we as a pilot group have decided who's version of potential future events we trust.

I've not been in BA long but this really is a no brainer. In even my short time the management has shown that their word cannot be trusted, and their entire focus is on cost cutting, we see ourselves as the next long term target with this current Openskies set up.

All we are asking for is that the promises the management are making to us personally (Willie, and his blood written assurances) be put into our working agreements and set in stone for his eventual replacement to work around rather than wade through. Nothing more.

It is hugely disappointing that we are man managed so poorly that it has come to this, and that a resolution could not be negotiated prior to the ballot, but at what stage do you make your stand just to hold the ground you have as you see the chance of it being eroded in the future?

We as pilots truly hope this does not come to strike, but the collective decision is clear, the repercussions to our passengers all too clear also. For them this may be the pain of inconvenience, I truly hope they understand that for us this is the last and only option left to me to try to protect my career.