PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC VOLUNTARY OVERTIME BAN: Dublin Flights Delayed 25th January
Old 21st Feb 2008, 15:16
qnhhpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bobinkerry

Yes we are short staffed and yes its going to be practically impossible for the IAA to get any more in the short term. Its their problem. They've let it happen. Let them sort it out.

There are some solutions. Take rated people off office duties and projects and put them on the roster. Won't solve everything but it would help. The IAA won't do this - it would mean project and office work doesn't get done and highlight they are short staffed!

They could advertise for direct entry controllers - quicker to train than new recruits. They won't.

They still claim its about money and not about staff. They have insulted and slandered their controllers - accusing us of orchestrating wildcat action to get more money. Now I WILL NOT DO overtime and I reckon a lot of my fellow controllers feel likewise.

I want an apology for a start and an acknowledgement that there is a staff shortage. I want some guarantee of leave. Let the IAA sort that out now. Use overtime to provide leave. They won't do it! And they won't get anyone to do it!

Bring in flow control to provide leave in a planned way - Dublin airport has closed 7 times I believe during the night in the last 3 weeks and has anyone noticed? Maybe we don't need to be open at night.
They're are ways to ease the problem. None of them easy. The IAA won't do anything but slag off their staff.

As for the public reporting and opinion - yes its wrong and biased - but it doesn't matter. We shouldn't get side tracked. Its between us and the IAA. Even without going on strike all we need to do is not come in on our days off. You've seen what happens already. And its the quiet time of year. What will happen in March? In June, July and August?

But like I said let the IAA sort it out. I don't care anymore

Last edited by qnhhpa; 21st Feb 2008 at 17:51.