PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC VOLUNTARY OVERTIME BAN: Dublin Flights Delayed 25th January
Old 21st Feb 2008, 08:29
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One has to admit that the ATCO's did leave themselveds open to accusations of Blue Flu. After all, most of the closures were because someone went sick and by co-incidence, no one would do any extra overtime.

I know that 1 person going sick should not require a call-in. However, if the areas that are currently over-staffed were re-oganised and multi-ratings were required by all ATCO's then the ability to cope with staff sickness would be improved.

The IAA (and Ryanair) are wrong to say that there is no shortage. It is the case. However the shortage is not so bad as to require closures of more than 1 hour in any shift or at worst a 30 minute closure every 2 hours.

I have said from the start that this will be seen as a cash grab and that is how it is panning out.

Even the joke site posted by IRLATCO above says it is;

Originally Posted by http://twentymajor.net/2008/02/20/air-traffic-controllers-on-strike/
Do you want to take the chance of having that bloke, pissed off because he’s not getting overtime, ensuring your flight doesn’t have a near-hit
As for the comment about closing down the Atlantic if the Aer Radio guys go out in support?..........Don't think so.

Prestwick OACC who control the Atlantic Oceanic Airspace adjacent to Ireland have contingency measures in place. With Shannon not available as an ETOPS alternate then the flow for some flights may be pushed about a bit and of course pilots these days have access to datalink and satphone. If they still want to use HF then Stockholm Radio among others are available so they are not going to be in a position of being unable to send messages to and receive messages from Prestwick OACC.

Disrupt the flow - yes. Close it down - no chance.

In terms of posting funny clips relating to the proposed strike date, I can't find it but I think the clip from the Eddie Murphy film where he hold a gun to his head and says "put your guns down or the N***** gets it".

Just waiting for the complaints about Eddie Murphy the Irish ATCO being named.

Regards,

DFC