PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving before your bond is up
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2008, 08:04
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My current employer requires a type rating before they will hire you. So either you come rated and experienced already or do the rating at your own expense and risk with their training provider, who coincidently make the aircraft we are buying. Standard deal when buying a new airliner would include X number of ratings provided per aircraft. These are then onsold to new joiners at a handsome profit.

Upgrade requires a bond of approx US$20 000 reducing over two years. This is considerably in excess of the cost of sim time (bulk rates) and instructor time.

This is to stop people leaving for better jobs, or make money out of those that do. Our current conditions are below current going rates and we have a relatively high turn over of pilots.

Currently considering a new job where ther is no bond for the upgrade, airline believes in making people want to stay rather than forcing them.

I can understand turbo prop and smaller jet operators having a reasonable bond, directly related to training costs, which in most countries would be a tax deduction for them anyway. These companies couldn't afford to train people and have them leave after six months once they become employable with the better operators.

If I gained an upgrade and wanted to leave early I would be prepared to negotiate on the direct costs to the company, I wouldn't feel obliged to pay their mark up.