PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC VOLUNTARY OVERTIME BAN: Dublin Flights Delayed 25th January
Old 19th Feb 2008, 23:16
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our ATCOs had to make a call on the grounds of safety that night. Is it safer to land or divert?

Remember, as soon as an aircraft is diverted from it's original flight, it's safe passage begins to erode. Fuel and familiarity with the alternate become potent considerations. Pilot workload increases. This is no longer a routine flight.
Forgive me but I think that you will find the decision of divert rests 100% with the Captain.

You do not know anything about the fuel state. The aircraft may have had enough to fly to Cork and then divert to Shannon and still hold for more than the minimum 30 minutes before landing.

To say that as soon as an aircraft is diverted from it's original flight, it's safe passage begins to erode. Fuel and familiarity with the alternate become potent consideration is utter rubbish

Diverting to an open airport is always safer than landing at a closed one.

--------------

Of course the one thing that MOL has missed in his little attempt to grab some publicity is that the IAA were probably wrong to close the airports. What they should have done is close the airspace - make it class G and then airline and airport operators can decide if they wish to operate without ATC..............no instrument procedures...........but when faced with an ATC stopage and day - VMC, and only 30 miles to the adjacent ATC service why close the airport.

As for old Regan, he did light a fire under peoples ass and guess what - the system is better for it.

Air Corps ATCO's stepping into the breach - don't think so. But didn't many of them train on Dublin Approach Radar? Can't comment on radar displays or feeds for national securoty reasons of course but you know what I am getting at I am sure MOL would only gladly pay WOD and his DOD very well for keeping (profit making) flights operating.

At least Aer Lingus will not have to cancel all it's flights to Heathrow if the IAA ATC service stage a total walkout!

The IAA ATS division needs a cross between MOL and WW - someone who can crack the whip and weild the chopper but who can talk nicely to the customers.

Regards,

DFC