PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another nail in the MACC morale coffin.
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2008, 18:46
9th Dan Vectors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loxley - I am a MACC controller -here is MY view for what it's worth:-

1. I don't want to move. I am happy where I am. The destination in either direction is unappealing personally.

I am not worried about going to Scotland.
The nonsense written on this thread about how awful it is for English folk is quite disappointing. I am sure our new colleagues there will do their utmost to make us feel welcome.

It's political why we are going. The company has incentivised the move which explains when we are going. The mobile grade we signed up for means we have to go. We can't put in a transfer to another unit unless we are promoted (there are more who'd go to to Swanwick than Prestwick if it was a choice and many have asked for this transfer in the past - "if you want the big money shift the big traffic" said a London based union **** out of his bottom explaining how our pay aspirations have increased even though we are Band 4).

It comes down to the fact I'd rather be in Manchester than Ayrshire or Southampton. I'm quite useless at anything else - I enjoy Terminal+Area Radar. So it is tough - I'm going. I accept that. I nor ask or expect any sympathy.

2. You only get one life. I guess for these people they didn't want to move either but when pushed would rather be somewhere of their choosing. I admire their boldness/spirit of adventure. The majority were fine operators and their experience and presence was and is missed.

3. Banding has everything to do with it - for me. Personally it has affected my morale. Our shift patterns are great (the sub-roster included). The move is inevitable. I sympathise with all the other units who feel hard done by with banding. I can assure Hootin' and Loxley that MACC controllers did not vote for it. We were and are vociferous against it. It has divided the union (albeit the majority like their Band 5 status - who could blame them?)

Homo is right in that it was disgraceful. I know ATCOs at units less than Band 4 dislike our wage, it's understandable. But, I am going to whine about it now so you should stop reading if this applies to you and offends.

The Area model is partly based on traffic squared divided by controllers. This means the aircraft a centre controls is much more of a factor than staff. This fact alone makes the whole thing unfair and shames the people who came up with it and those who still defend it.

Even if it was a fair and a linear comparison (instead of exponential) there should be a mechanism and transparent system for going up/down a band. However when union and management colluded on this, they said the model only informed the debate - thereby having their 'out'. The Americans have this transparent grading system I believe.

I don't begrudge my colleagues who are on Band 5. It should be more for the work WE do. I BELIEVE I work AS hard as LAC guys and most of the LTC guys. Some Scottish sectors are as busy as any in the land. We should be on the same wage if it is based on what we do plugged in. We leave the college at the same/similar standard. Base it on cost of living - that should be able to be proved independantly.

Why do SOME Swanwick ATCOs think we are lesser mortals. What evidence do they have to believe we are second rate?

Banding has put this chip on my shoulder but only slightly tarnished the job I love.

I feel I deserve parity yet I think NSL staff at the lower bands deserve more too. Some of their approach mates in LTC get more even though their lower paid towers work twice the traffic. It's all hard to compare. Maybe the gaps between bands should reduce and the gap between NERL units should be based on living costs.