PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAL plane attempts takeoff without permission in Hokkaido
Old 19th Feb 2008, 09:28
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rumble.

I was going to apologise for being a little harsh, but when I thought about it I realised I had nothing to apologise for.

If I came across as holier than thou, then re read my post. Your post was made in a manner that would lead someone reading it to believe you are an ATCO. You stated as fact, a practice that is inherently dangerous.

Perhaps not in this instance but actually the word 'expect' is actually a completely standard bit of clearance terminology & has a very specific meaning, which is:- if you lose comms carry out the instructions that were given after the word expect.
Most pilots (like most ATCOs) on PPRuNe would not blindly believe everything on here, especially if something did not ring true. Unfortunately, due to the nuances of the English language, a tiny percentage of pilots or ATCOs might think that what they read here is Gospel and then carry out that action when it next occurs.

Another scenario is that someone who has read your post is given, in the future, an 'expect' statement in their clearance and then lo and behold, suffers a comms failure.
In the scrabble to work out what has occured and what the next course of action should be, they just might have a niggle in the back of their mind that tells them they should carry out the 'expect' part of the clearance - they can't remember where they heard it, but they know they heard it somewhere, from an ATCO of all people, so for the purposes of expediancy, that's what they will do.

If the above sounds far fetched, then think again... it's a failing in human nature and perfectly feasible.

What you heard from the sources in the US is correct to an extent, albeit it seems a little lost somewhere either in interpretation or otherwise. However it has nothing to do with the word 'expect FL' and all to do with the lost comms procedure and following a flight planned FL.

If that is what the Supervisor (I'm guessing a South Bank LAS in AC) told you, then they are wrong.

PM me their name and I will happily ensure that they are made aware of this - not for any other purpose other than flight safety. (I will of course make sure that they did indeed mean it and that is was not just a misunderstanding)

I spoke to a supervisor at Swanwick very recently who told me (using expect FL130 at goodwood as an example) that they would expect this clearance to be complied with even without the actual subsequent descent instruction being heard. Especially as it is a restriction on the chart as well and if you were not 130 or below by Goodwood you really would be in the way big time.
Every single day there are a handful of aircraft inbound to Gatwick (thats the FL130 level GWC restriction) that do not meet the level restriction. Contrary to what you heard, there is nothing to
be in the way big time
off if the restriction is not met.

I personally find it very hard to believe that any ATCO said what you have quoted regarding 'expect'... even an LAS or GS!

Believe me Rumble, my high horse is well and truly in the stable... I, like the majority of ATCO's, have quite strong opinions, but I am always willing to listen and accept when I am wrong.

In this instance I believe that the error needed to be pointed out and firmly dispelled.

If I were you, I would personally amend or delete my post... I certainly would not feel happy leaving it knowing the possible consequences it might have. As an airline employee, you should understand the principal of acting responsibly