PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC VOLUNTARY OVERTIME BAN: Dublin Flights Delayed 25th January
Old 19th Feb 2008, 08:04
qnhhpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DFC I agree with some of your points. Obviously this will only be sorted out by some sort of overtime arrangement. New controllers cannot be produced instantly. Staff have been aware of this for at least three years. Management have let it come this point. Why should staff not drive a hard bargain for overtime rates and refuse to work more hours than we already do?

When it comes to leave the IAA cannot provide the obliged leave no matter when they dictated it must be taken - even on Rest days they expect you to work. They also try to remove any unused A/L from staff at the end of the year - nobody should be treated like that. Imagine the luxury of actually getting your allocated leave - to actually get some leave when you would like it would be like winning the lottery!

This is the frustration that is driving us.

As for your points about levels of staffing in certain positions and at certain times - again I agree with you. There are times of the year and days of the week when full staffing is not required at all positions. But our management don't have the sense to use this surplus to provide leave or to carry out training or projects. They roster the same staff numbers for 0630 on a Sunday in November as for 0630 on a Friday in July. How many airlines do that?

As I said, IAA, show some imagination and courage.