PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now what??
Thread: Now what??
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2008, 07:47
typhoonpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess that would be great if in fact I hit the lottery or even received a windfall but I didn't. Here is what I got, I am, was in the same place the day after the award that I was in the day before!! We got no windfall and if we did I certainly can't see it. I am now as result of the save the failure effort known USAir further away from my upgrade then I was when I got hired!! In my opinion the east pilots got way more out of this then they ever deserved seeing as how they were headed for the street.

Sorry man really sore subject with me and this is not supposed to be the place to debate this issue...
I'll agree this isn't the place to debate the unfairness of the seniority integration. That said, I would point out that your attitude towards what has happened sheds some light on your personality, and therefore your suitability to be happy in a foreign airline.

I would guess, based on what you've written here, that you were a 2004 ( plus or minus one year ) hire date at AWA. You are now senior to pilots hired in 1987/88 ( a 17 year jump in seniority ). The East pilots will be retiring at the rate of over 200/year for the next decade+. Those captain spots that should have gone to 1987 through 1990 hire dates will be yours for the taking. You're unhappy about that? I'll agree that the West has seen some short term stagnation, but you've only been there for 4 years. Have some patience, an airline career is not a sprint.

How would you feel at Emirates when pilots hired after you get a shot at command before you ? That would include Fast Track commands and Direct Entry Commands. I just don't see how you could be happy in a place like Emirates where people junior to you will get a shot at command before you when you are in the exact opposite position at AWA and are already unhappy.

The guys who are generally happy at Emirates are ones who tend to see the bright side of things. Realistically, those who know how bad others places are through experience. Emirates isn't nirvana or paradise by any stretch. It is a good job, but if you concentrate on the negative you'll find yourself in the exact same mood you are in now.

Typhoonpilot