PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian/FAA to Aus/NZ ATPL Conversion
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2008, 05:59
spacepodlife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Done!

The ATPL Airlaw is a tricky one. Easy for those who deal with Australian regulations on a daily basis but very difficult for those from overseas, especially from the FAA system where the regulations are very straight forward.

Trying to find your own bearing through 6 main regulation books (CAR, CASR, CAO, CAAP, CAA, AIP, AIP ERSA) is total madness, so I suggest the following: Get the Airlaw study book from Aviation Theory Centre, the Roland Pagel's tags for all the books (or make your own as you cover the relevant paragraphs) and the AIP book+ERSA. The rest of the regulations are available on the CASA website and you can print only the relevant pages instead of buying all the books.

Once you have highlighted/tagged everything get the AFT Airlaw preparation questions and internet practice exams. Unlike what most people say on this forum, the AFT preparation questions are not identical nor similar to the actual test, but they'll give you an idea of the important subjects and to familiarize with the "language style" used in the test.

What I mean is, let's say there is a regulation like:
"you can fly airplane if:
1) the airplane is painted blue, or;
2) the airplane is painted burgundy."

you'll probably find a question similar to this:
"what airplane color can you fly?
a) only blue airplanes
b) green airplanes
c) dark red airplanes"

You'll soon discover that answer "a" is incorrect because of the "only" so the most correct would be dark red. Don't ask me why they do this, someone claims you have to do some brain work to find out the correct answer...