PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grounding of DC3's
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2008, 17:35
ABUKABOY
Bring back the Dak!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YES, markerInbound (#66), that really is a most important gem not found in any book! As a Capt one morning, reaching over at the holding point to do the No2 feathering check with a button which you almost broke your fingers on to wrest it from the magnetic hold-in relay, (on this a/c anyway), I gave it its mandatory little twirl, but as I almost stood up in my seat to do the pull, it still pinged off with considerable force, over my right shoulder, hit the door-frame, and rolled down the sloping cabin floor to disappear at around row 6, followed by the rolling eyes of 36 bemused passengers, (no closed doors in those days). The prop duly feathered, and almost dragged the idling engine to zero, so we shut it down, and asked the stewardess if she would mind awfully going to find my little round red thing and bring it back as quick as she can. This she duly did, and she announced "Here's your little round red thing Captain, and please be more careful with it in future!" in a voice loud enough for all to hear, which nicely defused the situation for those passengers of a nervous disposition who had seen bits flying off their aeroplane before it had even reached the runway. The button was re-attached to the shaft, (which had pinged back out when the prop was fully feathered), and the button held in against its spring only until the prop looked unfeathered, the engine duly started, and we proceeed on our way.

Thats how it was in our 3rd-level airline back in the 70's. We had a bundle of fun. It was a truly precious time, and a truly precious aeroplane.