PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC VOLUNTARY OVERTIME BAN: Dublin Flights Delayed 25th January
Old 18th Feb 2008, 14:25
irishatco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the Brink

We must not accept a lucrative OT deal ,until ...
Norby

The words lucrative and IAA are mutually exclusive.

The term brinksmanship has been used, and i firmly believe that this is the only way the IAA deals with issues such as this one. This begs one question - do the IAA think that this is the brink, or are they going to run it right to the wire, and see what the Union do if there is no deal

Experience should teach us all that this will go down to the wire.

My feelings about tomorrow are as follows ...
  • the IAA will not admit to being short staffed, nor to the fact that the system is running on overtime
  • they will claim to be seeking direct entries, but not through the normal channels
  • IAA are going to make an offer for a formalised call in scheme, that will fall well short of the figures bandied around - in an attempt to try to keep the process going, and avoid being served with notice of an official stoppage
  • the IAA will not be drawn into a time scale for the call in scheme
Call me a pessimist, but thats how these things have been done forever. i truly hope that some miracle outcome will transpire, but we need to be realistic here.

Remember, everything on the cheap - thats their mantra

Look at the retired staff coming back. they are currently being paid by the pension fund, and on top of that the IAA is going to give them 30% of the cost of a call-in (if anyone was doing them), as a per diem allowance.
Cheap labour from their point of view. Its win win for them.

This is how they value all staff - get it done on the cheap. i shudder to think of how many direct entries they are really going to get. Last i heard it was down to 1!

This is going to go to the wire

We Dont Want To Be The First To Blink!

Given the united front presented by ATCOs nationwide, i dont think we will