PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now what??
Thread: Now what??
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2008, 07:50
scaglietti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chill III

OK one more post and then I'll scurry back into hibernation for the remainder of the winter - unless a good juicy debate comes along.

Many of the EK contributors have an agenda. It is believed that if recruitment dries up EK will be "forced" to address some of our issues. The argument initially appears to have some merit and therefore it is in the interests of these individuals to discourage people such as yourself who display some interest.

I would posit that the major issues concerning EK discussed on this site are:
1. Flight Time Limiations
2. Rest
3. Rostering
4. Remuneration.

There are slated to be 2 deliveries/month starting shortly (1X777 & 1X380). I have not heard anyone on prune suggest that these should be suspended or delayed. So I'm not sure how discouraging potential recruits will positively affect #1 through #3. It will definitely have an immediate effect on #4 as sadly we will all find ourselves flying more and "earning" additional flight or productivity pay. Standby for the siren call of resignations - yeah right! Some will, some won't but it will not be enough to force any significant changes.

As for the remuneration issue it takes closer analysis.

I hope my suppositions are reasonably on point and relate only to A320 and other US pilots. Due to exchange rate fluctuations and a weak US$ the following analysis does not apply to most other nationalties.

You make US$80K/annum on a narrow body 'bus for a US major. You should take home approximately $5K/month out of which you pay for all of your expenses. Unless you own your home "free and clear" your monthly accomadation expenses are probably between $1.5K and $2.5/month. Effectively your disposable income is approximately $3k/month.

Starting take home pay for an F/O at EK in a flying month is approximately US$6k which is essentially "disposable" income. From this money you pay for transportation, food, clothing, 10% school fees, extracurricular activities for your kids, and recreation. All of these things have increased in the last few years because of the unprecedented inflation being currently experienced in the UAE. A family of 4 will spend approximately US$250/week at the supermarket here it's probably 20% cheaper in the US. Gas is cheaper here - period. Most families have only 1 car as we are driven to and from work in company transportation so an "airporter" is not required. Take a drive around DSO where there are open carports and you will see everything from Renaults to Range Rovers and car's tend to be slightly cheaper here. The expensive item in relation to the US is recreation. My pet peeve is golf. We used to have a wonderful deal at Nad Al Sheba but that course was closed as a result of the juggernaut of Dubai growth. Golf is now expensive in DXB resulting in 1-2 hour drives to adjoining emirates.

As long as you come to EK with no major overseas expenses the money isn't bad in relation to the $80K you are currently making.

I'll leave you to analyse the vicisitudes (correct spelling?) of the US industry especially heading into a recession. I see NWA and Delta are talking merger.

As I said before you appear to have made your decision based on Pprune and if that is the case it's like performing a go-around from 1500ft because there are clouds in the vicinity. Get the ATIS, check the radar, see what landing aircraft in front of you are doing, speak to ATC, and then go take a look. It might be clear or it might be IMC - you can always announce "GO AROUND-TOGA-FLAPS 1".

Standing by for incoming.

Scaglietti