PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grounding of DC3's
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2008, 07:44
Whenwe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading about the DC3 feathering system brings to mind an incident when as a P2 we did a test flight (drift up) on a new engine. Yes it failed, resulting in some frantic activity in the cockpit to unfeather and restart the old engine. The captain did not hold the button in long enough. Realising his mistake he pressed it again and the prop feathered again. You have got to hold it in. I will always remember the quiet.... We got it going and all went well. Good lesson learned.

There are some highlights in my almost 2000 hrs on a DC3. Central African Airways / Air Rhodesia gave all its F/Os P1 training, if you performed well you were given a P1 rating and allowed to fly from the left seat. Heaven on earth!
The technical was a sketch and describe....... It would take a minimum of 4 hours to do that exam...... some took as long as 6 hours.
P1 training included a one-engine-out (feathered in those days) limited panel, NDB approach and go-around. Hard work!
Command check included both seats, day and night, and a final landing at night with a simulated failure of the instruments. You have to fly it by the seat of your pants and you would be surprised to find how easy it is. We knew our aircraft well.
I am truly proud of those hours in my log book
Concorde has come and gone: Long live the DAK!!