PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions?
Thread: Questions?
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2008, 07:29
OZBUSDRIVER

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sunfish, local knowledge is always the best so ring before you go

Porpunkah, I have driven past a number of occasions. It appears to slope down to the north. has trees lining both sides of the southern end. The access to the road cuts across the northern third of the runway so keep an eye on any car traffic approaching the runway. There appear to be a few trees in the neighbours property to the south that may impinge on the glidepath for the threshold so maybe displace a few metres north. The field appears to be about 900m and grassed all over. The hangers are on the western side of the field. If it was me I would approach the field from the north. The Ovens valley is fairly wide around Porpunkah township and where the Buckland comes into it. Lot of high ground to the south, east and west to keep you interested. High ground to the north is on the opposite side of the Ovens valley. Being a river valley you can expect fog to hang around if it is forcast.

I have a property not far from there and am thinking the same thing. I have access to a Jab that I wish to try into the field. There is a HawkXP that operates out of there and I have seen 182s on dirt dart ops.

Local traffic? During the summer months there are hang gliders that operate from the lip of the gorge off Mt buffalo, they tend to recover from the airfield. Parasails, powered chutes and trikes are pretty regular.....wish it was me.

Mount Beauty is a one way strip, landing toward the township, slopes uphill and is pretty short, the authority used to operate a Beaver in to the strip when they were building the hydro. Haven't actually been close to the field so cannot help much there. A lot of high ground to the immeadiate south of the field. The valley is pretty wide leading up to the township. EDIT- just to add, the highest rock in Victoria is just to the east of the field.

Like everything, ring up the numbers in ERSA and ask the question