PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR Harmonisation
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2008, 14:14
[email protected]

Received 634 Likes on 276 Posts
All good management type speak but as far as I am aware (and I have no contact with the IPT), the actual costs of running the SARF by the MoD have never been established let alone any proposed costs for taking on all UK SAR.

One inequality, I suggest, is that of locations - ie all the mil SAR flights are on mil land which is subject to huge depreciations because of the way the accountants see things. That cost is presently borne by the MoD but if the contractor takes over the exisiting bases, they may pay some ground rent but won't have the full cost of the sites to bear, this will still be met from MoD budget.

The SARF Cdr has written a paper suggesting a military solution which looks very good (apart from the shutting Chivenor and keeping Culdrose option) but it won't be part of the SARH selection.

All we really needed was a PFI to get us some new aircraft so we could crack on with our jobs.

I know there are those who robustly defend the practice of contractorising and civilianising the military but, just like Maggie Thatcher's belief that competition drives down prices and improves service, the dogma doesn't actually deliver (see supermarkets or utilities as examples) since the only way to reduce costs is to cut quality or manpower or both (as they are inextricably linked).