PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blair Force One again
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2002, 20:21
foghorn
I say there boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

'Doomsayers' ,

Labour were elected with a landslide majority under our 'first past the post' system. Whether it was 6%, 26% or 66% of the popular vote is completely immaterial.

Trying to belittle the democratically elected government of our country on the basis of a low turn-out just because you don't like their politics is a whopping fallacy - criticise the system by all means, but not the government it elected. Vote Lib Dem if you're really bothered about it (and how soon will they abandon their pet subject of electoral reform if they get voted into power under the current system?)

The elected leader of the fourth largest economy in the world should travel in a style that befits his status on the world stage. Simple. You can't have the leaders of the US, Japan, Germany, France, Italy et al. arriving at international summits in their official jets to a full red carpet treatment, and the Prime Minister of the United Kingdon arriving on a £9 Ryanair flight (complete with the remains of Cherie's home-made sandwiches no doubt). What would that do to our prestige on the international stage?

It's also a fallacy to argue that because the PM isn't the head of state, he shouldn't be afforded such VIP treatment. It's well over two hundred years since the monarch stopped meddling in politics, so as our senior elected leader, the PM is representing Britain on the world stage whenever he travels whether you like it or not.

Our economy is based more upon international trade than the other big economies. We are also a major tourist destination. Our Cultural and Industrial prestige internationally really does make a difference to that. What used to be called 'showing the flag' really does make a difference for UK plc.

And no, I didn't vote for them. But I also don't run my country down just because I don't like its leader's politics.

foggy.

[ 16 February 2002: Message edited by: foghorn ]</p>