PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC VOLUNTARY OVERTIME BAN: Dublin Flights Delayed 25th January
Old 15th Feb 2008, 18:32
ock1f

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radar-yes of course "any outcome on or after the 19th depends on what both party's interpretation of 'engage' is."

It is not only my view but also I believe our negotiaters view that up to now the IAA management have denied that there is ANY problem with the amount of overtime required and staffing numbers . Hence the view that the IAA have NOT actively engaged with us in any sense. At least now the signs are that their eyes and ears have been opened and that they are prepared to engage with staff.
I think i know what you are hinting at ,obviously we will be engageing with management too on a professional and construtive basis.

However i will say this. We are very short of staff. Controllers dont just pop out of the woodwork. So the company will have to come up with some very attractive and interesting proposals to encourage controllers to come in on their very precious days off in order to fill the gaps. If they dont ,then there will be a summer of huge amounts of flow control and restrictions because the IAA cant safely staff the roster.

Not only that but because of the HUGE amount of resentment and anger that is there from being publicly slandered and insulted , most controllers don't feel like showing ANY gestures of goodwill. The IAA would be wise to to remember this when they are formulating their proposals for next tuesday the 19th.

As well as that there will have to be concrete proposals on recruitment going into the future. Obviously we cant be expected to work on our days off on such a regular basis in the long term. I welcome the 36 newbies who will start in a few weeks but the fact of the matter is they WILL NOT even cover projected retirements in one station. A sustained and substantial recruitment drive is needed over the next five years at least , just to keep pace with the retirements that are coming up.

This is coming to a head and I hope it will be sorted to the satisfaction of everyone before too long.

Yours as ever
OCK1F