PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Open Sky Agreement
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2008, 07:52
Eastwest Loco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is well known that the Pacific is the rat's biggest cash cow, as is it for United offering the only non stop services, NZ missing out after 9-11 with the withdrawal of the NZ14/15 service which was well patronised.

The Pacific is the Holy Grail SQ is after, ane they have tried anything they can to get it. One would have to be Clarry the Blind Miner to miss the implant of Tiger to stilt QF growth and profit and make them more vunerable. I await the finger pointing and rhetoric from those involved with the pussy but look at their involvement and further agenda in the collapse of Ansett.

I did the exercise today for a corporate client. The nett remit QF fare SYD MCO return is $13680.00 including addons with United coming in around $1000.00 cheaper. A Oneworld round world fare fitting the same needs is$11448.00. Charging for convenience. Likewise a Star Alliance Circlepac SYD into MCO and back via BKK is $8517.00 all up - a total shedload less than the straight transpac.

This does open the floodgates for US carriers to tempt their hands, but I would be amazed if anyone picked up the ball as there are few apart from NW operating suitable equipment. SQ is nicely locked out by the "national carrier" clause which must make the Lion a little gruff.

This will make for interesting sport, as there would be precious little sleep in the Lion City tonight.

Best all

EWL