PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions?
Thread: Questions?
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2008, 02:41
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Questions?

Being a simple low time PPL, I am continuously discovering how little I know about aviation, just trying to keep one lesson ahead of disaster.

Latest venture is going to be a trip up Porpunkah and Mt Beauty way to see how practical it might be to buy some property up that way and then flying to and from Melbourne as required.

Four immediate issues raise their heads that I hope some Ppruners may be able to settle for me.

1. The weather up those valleys? Is the Wangarratta TAF useful? From my experience around Mansfield, how often do you get valley fog?

2. Hangliders? Are they an issue?

3. Valley flying? Given the height of some of the surrounding terrain, I get the impression that unless it is CAVOK, one would need to approach VFR up one of the valleys, not exactly scud running, but in a valley with the possibility of a "lid" on it. That to me implies an "escape route" as well as alternates of Benalla, Wang and Albury. Is this realistic?

4. Looking at the ERC, I'm buggered if I can work out how some of the Lsalts are calculated, one or two of them are 9000+ ft, can someone enlighten me?

Handing over.