PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Naughty Puma boys
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2008, 20:08
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at the helo height and apparent speed, and figure out (A) what fraction of a second it will take to fly into the ground if something you don't expect occurs - eg a birdstrike. How does this time compare to (B) 'reaction time', ie how long before the pilot can react to the sudden problem and transition into a safe flight path without hitting the ground enroute.

If (A) is greater than (B) then the pilot is a knob, unless doing it for valid operational reasons that take priority over flight safety (and common sense, and the degree of regard a pilot ought to have for the other lives on board while he's getting his rocks off pretending to be Tom bloody Cruise).

If (B) is greater than (A) then what excellent piloting, unfortunately timid creature that I am I think I'll go Sleazy Jet.

Oh, and any egomaniacal tw4t flying a helo at that height towards me on the A96 gets a wheel wrench thrown into his rotor disc as he zips by...I'm surprised the Chad truckers don't carry Strelas....

Other opinions may apply, of course, although I think you'll find mine is the correct one when all is considered, as my wife assures me that 'oh yes, you're always right of course'.

(Oddly, her tone sometimes suggests she holds a different opinion)