PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineers Duty Hours
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2008, 13:21
Mr.Brown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it about time that the engineers flying with an aircraft had to comply with aircrew duty limitations at least that of cabin crew?

I don't think the arlines would be too happy with all the costs of the extra staff required to cover the overtime that wouldn't be done if engineers hours were restricted, all needing holiday pay, pension, sick pay, national insurance etc,etc.
Also not too many happy engineers with the loss of overtime payments.
Maybe the flight crews could take a pay cut refective of their actual duty hours to help fund such a venture.

Seriously though:
Unfortunately, aircraft engineering is not in the front line of avaition, as far as the public and media are concerned, and as a result engineers hours are not subject to same public debates as crew hours. Because of this the airlines have almost self regulated the engineers hours to keep costs down.
In saying that the overtime payments do make up a large part of my total earnings, so really I won't complain.
I could always opt in to the European working time directive but her indoors might not get that boob job.