PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Pay
Thread: Qantas Pay
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2008, 10:14
Angle of Attack

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts
I can search too but I tend to be a lazy searcher hardly ever do it ... anyway,
What you can read from the awards and posts is fair enough but let's face it without knowing what hours you work and what allowances you receive it's pretty hard to come up with an exact figure on all the sums. Ill just give a few points, and that is the operative word because like everything in aviation it's always changing.

1) ATM there is no opportunity to be hired as direct entry F/O or Captain at mainline QF, just as Second Officer

2) Right now you will be hired as a S/O on 747-400 or A330 fleets with A380 to come soon I am guessing.

3) Depending on what aircraft you get on will have a difference to your pay and commuting experience , suffice to say you can commute on any fleet fairly easily as an S/O

4) Staff return ticket MEL - SYD? I don't know exactly but around $120 I would say with a fair amount of accuracy give or take 5 or 10 lol

5) Training pay? Well it would be around 2-4 months but it varies. Suffice to say it is fairly low. I think it is Gross mid 20's maybe up to 30k Gross per year now, if anyone can update this would be appreciated. Either way you wont be living a champagne lifestyle unless you class passion pop as one!

6) The longer range aircraft 744 and A380 will probably have easier aspects to commuting as you can get so many hours from each trip, but the A330 isnt bad either from what I here as it operates a lot of flights out of Brisbane and Melbourne at the moment.

7) Pay? Well overtime is the key equation obviously 744 and in future A380 will have a lot more than A330. I dont think many first year S/O's would be on less than 80k these days, and possibly close to 100k for some. But pay increases each year after checking out fairly significantly. Some 5 and 6 year S/O's if they target overtime trips could be close to 130 or 140k I guess but this is just what I heard not proven.

8) Allowances? 10k-20k per year but in general most S/O's dont have any left over at end of trips lol! Mabe a little bit!

9) Promotion to F/O ? How long is a piece of string? Depends on the time and how motivated you are to move quick? I would say in the next few years quite fast if everything goes ok 2-3 years? It could be as long as 5 or 6 though it just depends what fleet you want to go to and the timing.

Anyway its my 4 cents worth, hope it answered some questions but lets face it the major challenge is getting through the process gl!