PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: QANTASLINK Crewing Crisis!
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2008, 07:42
Hugh Jarse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Bullamakanka,

If you read my post you will note that most of those people were not eligible for the MOU and therefore applied externally (i.e "off the street"). Therefore QL management has little control over "releasing" them. Pay for training has effectively released them from an obligation to remain loyal.

Hence the situation we see today. The greedy sins of 2004 have bitten us on the arse. Not that nobody was warned.....

The problem Qantaslink faces is not a shortage of FO's, but retaining experienced Captains, particularly when the FO's coming in hold absolutely minimum experience and are not upgradeable.

To date, the company has offered a retention payment, to its credit. However, the Captains that are looking at leaving are there for the lifestyle, not the money. The latest EBA torpedoed lifestyle. It just went too far. Hence the high number of Captains throwing their hands up and just looking at walking away. Guys with >12 years service - (the ones that really need to be retained in order to pass on their experience, either in a training or mentoring role). They see the prospect of 11/12 days off a month as more favourable than the 6 paired and 2 split days agreed to in the latest EBA. Particularly the family blokes.

Added to that is the potential to move on with a couple of promotions during a career with VB.

For all this, QF would rather throw these experienced people to the wind (and it's competitors), rather than offer its employees a decent career path right through to retirement.

Wynsock, I reckon the big bucks is a step in the right direction, but in itself will only benefit the people that weren't going to leave anyway. And it does not address the FO's close to upgrade who should be looked after as well.

As I mentioned in other posts, in a situation like this with a diminishing supply, you need to cast a wide net and address all the reasons people are leaving. Money is just one aspect.