PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Sponsored Type Rating With Line Hours
Old 10th Feb 2008, 16:47
Night_fr8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchasing a Type Rating

If you must go down the self sponsor type rating route, why not try the Ryanair scheme for type rating B.737 pilots, at least you get a job at the end of the training, should you come up to their training standards.
Standards which i am told are closely monitored by the IAA.
Ryanair are not the most popular choice, but I know that they are very selective in whom they take and that many guys are getting their first job with them, and building hours, whilst not earning high salaries initially the potential after reaching 1500 hours as an F/O is higher than some new Captains make at 3000 hours.

No I am not employed by Ryanair, or connected with them but many of my fellow pilots have joined them and are happy with the work and the New 5/4 rosters.

If you pay for a rating you could get advice from people in the industry before committing your hard earned cash.
Some Training Managers were not happy with the product from some training establishments, and found that the pilots had to be re-trained almost from scratch to achieve the required standards.

Low Cost training = BIG RISK = Lower Job prospects.

Most airlines prefer to do their own training or go through organisations like CTC who have a proven track record.

The moral of this story is, Research before you Buy.