PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Nigeria Vs Federal Govt Of Nigeria Et Al
Old 10th Feb 2008, 04:24
surely not

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Rev for clarifying my point to JABAG. I mistakenly thought using the term 'VK as prime mover' allowed for an interpretation that other airlines could and should also benefit.

In 2005 when Virgin Nigeria came into being there was only Bellview that had any significant International/Regional and Domestic routes and to my knowledge they hadn't made any efforts to use MMIA for their Domestic flights. The Domestic area was a shambles with little proper control of the check-in procedure, and overbookings sorted out on the basis that the first pax onto the a/c flies, but if you are last in the queue then don't be too certain!!

The airlines that were flying then, and FAAN, had made little attempt to create any semblance of order in the facility so I doubt they were thinking ahead to the formation of a hub!! Actually I doubt they even had the vision to think that way!!

Then VK was selected from other airlines who had submitted proposals as the airline of the Governments choice to improve Nigerian Aviations standing in the World, including the long term vision of creating a West African hub at MMIA. Now maybe I'm old fashioned but 'long term' is generally longer than 2.5years! Since that day the airlines and backers who lost out have done their best to hamper VK in any way possible, and they have used AON as the vehicle to add 'respectability' to their mischief making.

Since then Arik have also chosen to operate from MMIA, and VK had parts of the terminal areas in MMIA that it, not FAAN, had renovated given to a competitor!

Now in an act of gross petulance and acting as a play ground bully, FAAN demolishes the Domestic Business class lounge that VK had designed and built in what was a rat infested, derelict area of MMIA before VK gutted and renovated it.

Hopefully these are the last acts of the few in power who are still scared of improvement, who feel threatened by something running efficiently.

For the sake of Nigerian Aviation as a whole MMIA must retain the ability to operate as a Transfer hub.