PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC VOLUNTARY OVERTIME BAN: Dublin Flights Delayed 25th January
Old 9th Feb 2008, 14:35
grr nav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only reason that there have been closures in Dublin and Shannon is because the IAA do not staff for contingency.

For example, at the start of a 1400 duty if 5 positions require relieve only 5 ATCOs are rostered to come in. This is the same for all duties in Dublin and is probably the same in Shannon. If 1 ATCO goes sick, has an incident or is just late you either close the position and put in flow or it is covered by overtime.

Currently I am not comming in on overtime as

1, I have a life outside
2, I'm sick to my back teeth of the place
3, as managment don't listen to me I feel i've asserted some very small bit of control (no pun) back into my working enviroment.
4, maybe managment will wake up and realise that the IAA exsits outside of Hawkins Street.

The IAA have stated on numerous occasions that there is not a staffing problem and have not very subltly implied that controllers have conspired to cause these closures. and I supose the IAA are right.

how dare you ATCOs out there get sick and not be able to come in and spread your germs and as for you Female ATCOs, did you not read your contract with the IAA where it states that you shall not be allowed to get pregnant, shame on you all.

How on earth do you expect the IAA figures to add up if you keep malfunctioning.

As for others who expect to be able to take your A/Ls within 3 weeks of the day you need off, for minor things like your own wedding (happened) where is your commitment to our world leading organisation. If you cant take you leave the IAA will take if for you, sorry off you.

You more senior ATCOs, you know, the ones near retirement. Yes you have put in 35 years + of hard work and graft, but thats not enough. The IAA requires that you continue to operate as a healthy 25 year old and if you don't well your obviously not healthy enough to be assigned to Expert duties (which you have been doing for 20 years or so), so the IAA will dock you 2 increments moving you down the payscale. Oh but you will still be required to control aircraft.

The IAA request that you join a union that loves to talk. yes talk talk talk, its good to talk. It is important that profit making companies like the IAA and profit making companies like IMPACT engage in discussion. These are proffessional organisations who know whats best for us.

ATCOs KNOW YOUR LIMITS, what type of a crazy topsy turvy world would it be if a union listened to the wishes of its membership and a semi state listened to their primary stakeholders (thats us staff in case somebody from Corporate IAA is reading this).

oh by the way I WAS BEING SARCASTIC

Last edited by grr nav; 9th Feb 2008 at 22:06.