PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Pay
Thread: Qantas Pay
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2008, 13:41
International Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Surditas

Believe it or not I am one of your best friends in this thread.
I am one of the few who has taken the time to give you some help to maybe get you that position or others that you may wish to be "considered" for.

Sure it's "tough love" but you would get plenty of that sort in QF, and then some.
If you don't listen well maybe others will see something in what I say.

The competition for a QF job will always be very tough. If you made a bad impression with me, I can assure you that others in employment departments will come to a similar conclusion. How do I know this? I have recently left that very area.

No time for tears, my advice is free and you now have the chance to think over your approach to the QF interview process, "IF" the process should ever be offered to you.
The process is extensive and designed to vet out all except the person that the company believes is the person they want. That word "impression" comes to mind again.

By the way, QF currently put cadets with 250 odd hours in the very position that you will seek in 18 mths time. If you have been flying in GA for 20 years( and I assume you mean that you have been flying commercially in GA for 20 years), I would also prepare answers as to why it took you 21 1/2 years to decide that you wanted to be a QF pilot instead of at year 1( or earlier). Sounds like I talk sh-t to you ? Well maybe you are not the sort of person they are looking for. Remember, they are ones with the jobs to give.

As for salary, do you think that a company like QF would not pay you enough to live a reasonable existance? Unless you have a plum job in GA ( in which case you are grossly over qualified for the job) the salary will generally be equal or more that any GA salary.
Of course the position has generally been offered to people in their twenties not their forties as you should be if you have be flying in GA for 20 years.
You could have been in a command position now if you wanted to be a Qantas pilot 20 years ago.
Comments like "I have to be sure that I adequately provide for my children, home, etc" are important to you. They should be but, should this be important to a company that is only looking for someone that "THEY" consider to be the best in the field?

Don't get angry, get even and show that you can get the job.