PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The R22 corner: Owning, flying & training questions
Old 8th Feb 2008, 11:15
The Nr Fairy

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Ding Dong:

Yes, you can check all the bits you need to from a pre-flight need. Depending on how tall you are, you might need a ladder to see/feel the top surface of the blades, although I have seen someone once standing on the top of the main fuel tank.

The press-to-test lights are where they are - it was designed that way for presumably very good reasons (someone correct me, but the whole circuit gets tested, not just the bulb), like not having oodles of wiring leading to the console and back. Unless you're a midget, there's no problem seeing the lights when testing them.

AUW is 2400lb, except Raven II which is 2500. Tail rotor authority is excellent, given that Frank Robinson had a hand in re-designing the Hughes 500/OH-6 tail rotor in the late 60s. I've seen the RPM wound down in a low hover, and spot turns in a reasonable wind are still possible.

If you don't want to do the rating, then the only option for 4 seats or more is Jetty or equivalent, and add £200 an hour or so onto the R44 costs. If you've got the money, it's your choice. Personally, I think they're nice beasties.