PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where to get a decent flying suit?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2008, 07:53
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nomex

Hi Contacttower,

Some time ago I visited Jays and had the opportunity of holding one of the suits of the sort they supply to 'the Stig', the professional racing driver who appears regularly in the 'Top Gear' motoring TV show. It weighed a ton!

The reason was because it was constructed from no less than three layers of Nomex of various different thicknesses. At three layers, it provided guaranteed protection against burning for just 11 seconds! Just long enough for the race course fire truck to get to the scene and start applying their fire extinguishers to the driver and his car.

So a flying suit made from a single layer of Nomex will protect you from burning for probably about 2 seconds. The advantage it does give is that it does not actually burst into flames as cotton will. In short, it won't stop you from burning, but at least your injuries might be less than if a cotton suit had turned you into a fire ball.

I have got Jays to supply me with some Nomex pants, with pockets where I want them, a Nomex fleece jacket likewise and some Nomex zipped polo neck shirts. Used together, these things don't look like the military grow bag, but give me just that little bit of extra utility and protection, at least as good as the military grow bag would provide.

Incidentally, Jays also supply the Red Arrows, so they must know something about what flying requires.

Broomstick.