PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2008, 01:14
fat&furious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not replace the MGB?

S92 Mech "The job can be done with a crane, just put a chain hoist on the hook and make the fine adjustments by hand. I've worked with some crane operators that are smoother than a hangar hoist and some that are a hazard.
Any job that will take a couple of days would preferably be done in a hangar. Some customers mandate that jobs like this be done in a hangar."

Agreed it is easier in a hangar, most jobs are, are they not? But a recovery is a recovery and each day the aircraft doesn't fly costs money. Maybe not in Shell Brunei's case but to other operators for sure. More than two weeks 'in the bush' and a few more on a 1250 inspection........

Vibetribe- "Replacement Main, Input and Accessory modules are here and already assembled. The 4 Kevlar strops used for lifting the A/C were well protected, SAC Engineers did the math so No problems with the MRH at all. All the work will be carried out in the hangar because that is the professional way to perform Aircraft Maintenance."

Well if SAC say ok then that's excellent, I think I would prefer to return it for o/haul as a twisting dead weight taking the buffeting from the ride over the jungle and an S64 above is a bit different from the skyhooks normal preferences i.e. trying to keep 4 blades from flying off and supporting the weight of a 13 tonne cabin.

Hmmn, we all like the maintenance to be done in a hangar and I am sure Shell like all the whistle and bells that they provide to be used. But is there not a point where cost surpasses the niceties of hangar maintenance? Of course that takes us back to platform recoveries and my previous questions?

Albatross "Well said 212man and S92mech."

"Nothing like facts VS rumour and hearsay!"

You may be correct there Albert it could be a case of, 'Nothing like facts' in this case! It is a rumour board after all.

"NorthSeaTiger So what actually happened anyway ? Some kind of mgb failure ? Oil cooler failure ? Anyone actually know?"

Money is on a double input bearing failure on the MGB by what has been said before. Could be the third such incident since launch 2004. The other worrier if you look at 212 mans earlier graphic on the warning panel is the loss of generator when MGB heats or loses oil. Could all generation be lost due to the need for the generators to be oil cooled? So you could be coming down somewhere at night on standby power only? Would that be a correct assumption?

212 man - "Any further questions on the specifics of this case less than helpful. Let's see what SAC have to say on the matter: and be assured that their findings will be public. All I can say is, thanks for your help Doc"

Well we are waiting, waiting for something to be done to cut the failure rate. Any further questions on this unusual episode and consequent recovery can surely only be helpful for all operators present or future?